Monday, July 25, 2011

The Rock That I Live Under

I have three small children so I don't watch the news. I have 17,865 manuscripts to read so I am not great with reading the paper (except for the articles about books that friends and family send to me as links from the NYT and the Guardian). I follow AP, NYT journalist Nicholas Kristof, and Roger Ebert on my Twitter feed. Because of the organization I work with, I know every action in the global community that impacts rape victims. It is a very crazy and distorted view of the world. It's a bit like hearing all the news about what's going on in Walnut Grove from Mrs. Olson in the General Store.

My most recent Google searches included: Who is Amy Winehouse? Who is Casey Anthony? Who is Donald Draper?

I live under a rock.

In other news...


I'm almost at 35,000 words on MANHOLE. I sent a note to my mentor mentioning my fear that in adding more words, I have lost the boy voice. She recommended I read this one.

Josh Mendel has a secret. Unfortunately, everyone knows what it is. Five years ago, Josh’s life changed. Drastically. And everyone in his school, his town—seems like the world—thinks they understand. But they don’t—they can’t. And now, about to graduate from high school, Josh is still trying to sort through the pieces. First there’s Rachel, the girl he thought he’d lost years ago. She’s back, and she’s determined to be part of his life, whether he wants her there or not.Then there are college decisions to make, and the toughest baseball game of his life coming up, and a coach who won’t stop pushing Josh all the way to the brink. And then there’s Eve. Her return brings with it all the memories of Josh’s past. It’s time for Josh to face the truth about what happened.If only he knew what the truth was . . .




Finally, to make all of you smile, I am including my favorite line from my editorial intern letter written over the weekend:

"If you are going to tie someone up, you better be all in."

What's on your bookshelf this week?





9 comments:

KW said...

With three children, I'm not sure how you find time to write at all, let alone read (let alone eat/sleep/blog/"use the Google"). I have a baby girl and she swallows up most of my free time.

I had a funny conversation with some friends the other day about Google Reader and work. Apparently, I'm more over-worked than most because they seemed to be able to mow through website feeds in far greater volume. But that is an option if you just want to skim headlines quickly.

Also, I concur. You'd love Mad Men. I don't even know you and I can make that statement. Such a good show.

Tere Kirkland said...

There's a lot to be said about living under a rock. It IS nice and shady there... ;)

My wp is from a boy's pov, so I've been worried about the same thing, and reading more stuff written by male authors.

Good luck with everything!

Heather said...

LOL! I love that quote, excellent. Wow girl that is a lot of manuscripts to read. Being an intern has to be one of the hardest jobs ever! Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll have to check this one out.

Jessica Silva said...

Reading boy books are so good for developing boy voices (for us ladies, I guess? Maybe for men, too?). One of my WIPs is from the POV of a boy, so I'll probably need to (someday) read a few more books with boy MCs!

Living under a rock isn't a horrible thing. Just check out the Huffington Post once a day or something :)

Have fun reading your manuscripts!

erica and christy said...

My Facebook feed has clued me in on Amy Winehouse and Casey Anthony, but Donald Draper?? No idea.

Thanks for the book rec - it looks great!
erica

Unknown said...

Loved this post. I was giggling through the Who is Amy Winehouse bit... too funny.

I'm currenty reading Best Staged Plans by Claire Cook.

Happy Reading!!!

PS - I don't know who Donald Draper is either.

Alexis Bass said...

I've heard great things about Boy Toy too! Looking forward to hearing what you think :)

Talli Roland said...

Gosh, you are busy, aren't you?

I love the title of that book - 'Boy Toy'! Fab.

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

I had to go look up "Who is Amy Winehouse" after reading your blog post. I saw her on TV in McDonalds, but there was no sound, so I was really curious. Then I forgot about it until I saw your post. Thanks! I'm in the know now.

As for your question, I'm reading ACROSS THE UNIVERSE and I have THIS BURNS MY HEART waiting in the wings. :)

Amy