Saturday, June 28, 2014

PRIDE: GLBT Books in YA that I loved...

It's Pride weekend and I wanted to post a bunch of my favorite GLBT YA titles for those interested in reading the excellent books that are now out in this world that include this issue. For a more comprehensive list, I highly recommend you go to Dahlia Adler's compendium here. I also want to express tremendous gratitude to all the writers who are including this issue because it's important. And if you go hunting at the bottom of this post, you can even get a teaser of my girl-girl love story which I'm currently drafting.















Excerpt from my WIP:

I move toward the bathroom and start to take off my bikini. I slide my jeans on and tug my cami over my head. The door clicks and Emily’s there, inside this too small space with me. All the air in the room shifts. The energy has changed and my breath hitches. I lick my lips and she follows the movement and everything is warm and all I can think is how much I want to feel this. Her. Us. But I’m so terrified. She takes a step and drops her hands on to my hips. And it is nothing, nothing like how Luke’s hands felt. She spins me around so I’m facing away from her and toward the mirror. I can feel her breath on my back.

Her fingers move over the scars there. Trace the patterns up my neck to the base of my skull where my bald patch is. Her other hand is still holding on to my hip and I want to lean back into her. I want to wrap her around me, feel her strength.

And without much thought, I know I want her mouth on my mouth. I want to taste her kisses and the wetness of her tongue and see if the orange Tic Tac smell is her all-over flavor. But she stays behind me with her hands continuing to trace my scars.

“They’re beautiful because they’re part of you,” she whispers as her finger circles smooth raw skin. “And you are beautiful.”
“Emily, I want…”
But she drops her hands and steps back. “You don’t know what you want. And I shouldn’t be getting involved with this.”

Then she’s gone. My hands tremble as I pull my shirt over my head. I leave the bathroom, ready to confront her, ready to ask what she wants, but she’s not in the classroom either. And I’m left even more confused than ever.

6 comments:

Mandie Baxter said...

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this because now I want to read more!! I have the first two books on your list, need to get to them. Of corse I've read Perks. Another really good one is With or Without you by Brian Farrey.

L.G. Keltner said...

I've read The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Thanks for providing me with a list of books to add to my TBR pile! And the excerpt from your WIP is amazing! It definitely makes me want to read more.

M.J. Fifield said...

I haven't read as many of these as I should have, but I always love it when you recommend books. I'm never disappointed.

Love the excerpt, too. Really looking forward to reading the whole thing one of these days.

Katy Upperman said...

Ooh, your blog looks so good, and you know where to find a beta when your done with that WiP. :-) I loved FAR FROM YOU and SHINE and ASK THE PASSENGERS, and I've heard amazing things about ARISTOTLE AND DANTE. Must read soon!

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

Now my biggest problem is what to read first! LOOOOVE that excerpt, too, btw.

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

Now my biggest problem is what to read first! LOOOOVE that excerpt, too, btw.